[K12OSN] K12LTSP 5.0.0 Release Candidate #4

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Aug 3 06:29:25 UTC 2006

Eric Harrison wrote:
> K12LTSP 5.0.0 release candidate #4 has been uploaded.
>
> With any luck, this will be the last release candidate. This is assuming
> that there are no last minute changes included in the
> soon-to-be-officially-released LTSP 4.2 update 3.
>
> Two previously reported issues, 1) TuxType was missing and 2) the nat
> package prevented access to a local web server, should work as expected
> in RC4.
>
> Please give this build a very thorough test and report any and all
> issues that you see.

Eric

As always, WOW, and good work.  When I'm feeling a little beat down and
tired, I draw inspiration from how hard you work.  I have upgraded a few
of our projects to 5.0.0, and I have encountered some issues.

First, I should point out that I installed RC1.  Best I can tell, other
than the RAID controller issues, there have been no critical bugs that
would interfere with a vanilla install using the RC1 disks.

1. Boys and Girls Club Update

At the BGC of Hawaii, I just updated our FC3-based install.  Yes, after
more than two years of heavy teenage use, this lab is still chugging.  I
did a clean install of K12LTSP5rc1, and all but two of the clients
rebooted with the following message

RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(1,0)

What's perplexing is that all the clients are in the same switch and are
the same architecture.  I am updating the packages tonight, but as it
stands the default install has some issues.

2. Community Park Update

We put free wireless and a K12LTSP lab in one of our City parks a few
weeks ago.  K12LTSP4.4 was working great.  An update to 5 brought the
lab down.  Clients would take forever to boot, except for one, but they
ran okay once they were up.  I had the bandwidth to upgrade all the
packages earlier today, and now it runs *great.*  I have no idea what
package was the 'fix.'

> -Eric

--scott