[K12OSN] K12LTSP 5.0.0 Release Candidate #4

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Thu Aug 3 12:47:30 UTC 2006

On 03 Aug 2006, at 9:31 AM, Edward Holcroft wrote:

>> 1. Boys and Girls Club Update
>>
>> At the BGC of Hawaii, I just updated our FC3-based install.  Yes,
>> after more than two years of heavy teenage use, this lab is still
>> chugging.  I did a clean install of K12LTSP5rc1, and all but two
>> of the clients rebooted with the following message
>>
>> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(1,0)
>>
>> What's perplexing is that all the clients are in the same switch
>> and are the same architecture.  I am updating the packages
>> tonight, but as it stands the default install has some issues.
>>

> I am getting this same error and will be very interested to know
> how you solve it. Will run a yum update today to see if that
> resolves anything. I found that it occurs on clients with rtl8139
> etherboot cards. My 3c905 PXE cards work fine.

Just did a yum update to RC4 but I am still getting the error. Same
error with different types of clients from P1's through to P3's. The
only consistent component is the rtl8139 NIC, which seems
consistently to produce the kernel panic. Tried a whole bunch of
cards too, so it's not just one bad card producing an error. These
same clients all boot just fine off a 4.4.1 server.

ed