[K12OSN] K12LTSP 5.0.0 Release Candidate #4

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Aug 3 15:29:36 UTC 2006

Edward Holcroft wrote:

>>> I am getting this same error and will be very interested to know how
>>> you solve it. Will run a yum update today to see if that resolves
>>> anything. I found that it occurs on clients with rtl8139 etherboot
>>> cards. My 3c905 PXE cards work fine.
>>>

>> Just did a yum update to RC4 but I am still getting the error. Same
>> error with different types of clients from P1's through to P3's. The
>> only consistent component is the rtl8139 NIC, which seems consistently
>> to produce the kernel panic. Tried a whole bunch of cards too, so it's
>> not just one bad card producing an error. These same clients all boot
>> just fine off a 4.4.1 server.
>>
> Apologies for replying to myself, but I have just tested a thin client
> with Etherboot running on a natsemi 83815 and RC4. It idisplays the same
> issue. I have an Intel Pro100 and a Via Rhine that work happily on RC4
> using the same client boxes, so I can rule out the clients as the root
> of the problem, as well as a specific rtl8139 issue.
>
> I am using 5.0.7 and 5.0.10 of Etherboot on these NICs. Is there a
> chance that the older Etherboot is incompatible with the 2.6 LTSP kernel?
>
> cheers
> ed

I don't think it is etherboot, I think it is the kernel.

Jim and I were chatting last night... there is a slight difference
between the LTSP and the K12LTSP kernels, we decided that probably would
not be an issue. Famous last words ;-)

We have one terminal here that won't boot off the K12LTSP kernel, but
does with the LTSP kernel. I get the same error you have reported.

So, I'll rebuild the K12LTSP kernel package and we'll see if that solves
the problem. I should have it done within an hour or so.

-Eric