[K12OSN] OSX question

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Aug 4 16:11:08 UTC 2006

Shawn Powers wrote:
> I know this is a little off topic, so replies off list are welcome...
>
> I want to use my OSX Server to store the user information on my
> network.  I want to do this so that I have finer control over the OSX
> clients in my network.  I know how to point the K12LTSP server to
> authenticate from the OSX server -- but my problem is that my file
> server is a Linux machine.  I have a VERY nice file server, and want to
> have the OSX server use it for home directories, but I'm not sure how to
> set that up...
>
> Is it possible to have my /home directory (and home directories in OSX)
> live on a linux box, and have the LDAP server be my OSX server?

We're doing home directories for a few OS X machines from a Linux box,
though the LDAP is on a Linux box too. ;-)

On file server "student-files", using Netatalk
--------------------------------
Add uams_guest.so to AFPD_UAMLIST in /etc/atalk/netatalk.conf

Add share definition to /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default:
  /home Users cnidscheme:dbd

For each user (dyoung is example)
Set attribute apple-user-homeurl with value:

Set attribute apple-user-homeDirectory with value:
/Network/Servers/student-files/Users/dyoung

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services