[K12OSN] Thin clients booting from a different server

Alan Hodson ahodson at elp.rr.com
Sun Aug 6 14:50:51 UTC 2006

Hi folks

In a school where there is a powerful K12LTSP server the network gang
has configured a few classroom drops with VLans pointing to it (they
have small thin-client clusters). Works like a charm. However, a
computer applications teacher has a second k12ltsp server for his lab
hiding behind a switch, and needs to be able to share his "home" with
one of the VLan classroom drops. My suggestion to create a second VLan
for this second server has not been well received (?), so I am faced
with perhaps having to forcefully route the MAC addresses of the
classroom's thin clients to the IP of the second server. I will be
changing the eth0 Bcast default IP of the second server to
192.168.1.255, and it will naturally have a distinct IP (10...). My
question is, is this type of setup documented somewhere I have
overlooked, or better yet, is anybody doing this "boot from another
server" configuration successfully? What files need a tweak?

As usual, thanks for the help.

Alan Hodson
El Paso ISD, TX
http://links.episd.org/