[K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure

Roger roger.in.eugene at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 17:57:12 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> /etc/logrotate.d/smbldap-ldif-backups already exists, will overwrite in
> 10 seconds (CTRL+C to cancel)....
>
> I waited 10 seconds and ended up at the comande prompt.
>
> So I promptly, :-! , did a rm -fr /etc/logrotate.d/

Oops.
You removed *all* the logrotate files.   Any logs that get rotated had
their definitions in that directory. (well, most anyway). What the
script was going to do was overwrite the one.
A more appropriate means of removal was probably
rm  /etc/logrotate.d/smbldap-ldif-backups
Be wary of "-rf" with "rm" unless you are absolutely sure of  what will happen.
Is this a redhat box?   redhat has a means of working with the package
manager to verify existance of files from the packages.  Not sure if
you could use that to figure out what *used* to be there.
Debian may have a similar feature.

The directory:
/etc/cron.daily/
holds all the daily cronjobs.  THere is probably one there called:
smbldap-ldif-backups  The script is probably warning that you will be
over-writing that one.  If you haven't altered it, it's probably safe
to remove that one.  There are other files in there that need to stay,
so don't 'rm' the directory.