[K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure (Robert Moskowitz) & (Roger)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Wed Aug 9 17:26:09 UTC 2006

> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:41:17 -0400
> From: "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure
> The docs say you can run ./smb-ldap all over and over until you get it
> right?

Yes, though perhaps we should have something in there about deleting
old LDAP databases first.

> I got through a lot of the script then bot a mesage about:
>
> /etc/logrotate.d/smbldap-ldif-backups already exists, will overwrite in
> 10 seconds (CTRL+C to cancel)....

The right thing for you to do is just wait...I guess the message
should say that. :-(

> So I promptly, :-! , did a rm -fr /etc/logrotate.d/
>
> I REALLY suspect I removed too much  :'(

YES. 8-(

> Caution:  You have /home exported more than once in /etc/exports/
> make sure this is what you want.
>
> (I understand what I have to do here, but why did this happen?)

You had the script add a '/home <network>(options)' line for you once
before, and you were adding another export. This doesn't hurt
anything, but it's good for you to be aware of it. Maybe the script
should say "Warning" instead of "Caution"; there's a well-established
convention that "warnings" are workable while "errors" are not.

> /etc/cron.daily/smbldap-ldif-backups already exists, will overwrite in
> 10 seconds (CTRL+C to cancel)....
> Well this time I did not touch the keyboard and am waiting for HELP!!!

Good plan, but you've probably waited long enough now. :)

> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:57:12 -0700
> From: Roger <roger.in.eugene at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure
> Oops.
> You removed *all* the logrotate files.   Any logs that get rotated had
> their definitions in that directory. (well, most anyway). What the
> script was going to do was overwrite the one.

Yes.

> A more appropriate means of removal was probably
> rm  /etc/logrotate.d/smbldap-ldif-backups

Yes.

> Be wary of "-rf" with "rm" unless you are absolutely sure of  what will happen.
> Is this a redhat box?   redhat has a means of working with the package
> manager to verify existance of files from the packages.  Not sure if
> you could use that to figure out what *used* to be there.
> Debian may have a similar feature.

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but my ham-fisted and
blundering approach would be to use 'dpkg -S' on a similar box to
figure out which packages have files under /etc/logrotate.d, and then
go to your smbldap box and do an 'apt-get install --reinstall' for
each one of those packages.

> The directory:
> /etc/cron.daily/
> holds all the daily cronjobs.  THere is probably one there called:
> smbldap-ldif-backups  The script is probably warning that you will be
> over-writing that one.  If you haven't altered it, it's probably safe
> to remove that one.  There are other files in there that need to stay,
> so don't 'rm' the directory.

Again, this is exactly right.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/

718 Fox Hollow Drive
Hudson, NH  03051  U.S.A.
+1 603.236.1054 (cell)