[K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure (Robert Moskowitz) & (Roger)

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Aug 9 17:54:52 UTC 2006

Matt Oquist wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:41:17 -0400
>> From: "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com>
>> Subject: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure
>> The docs say you can run ./smb-ldap all over and over until you get it
>> right?
>>

> Yes, though perhaps we should have something in there about deleting
> old LDAP databases first.

I thought that was a backup of the old databases in there?
>> I got through a lot of the script then bot a mesage about:
>>
>> /etc/logrotate.d/smbldap-ldif-backups already exists, will overwrite in
>> 10 seconds (CTRL+C to cancel)....
>>

> The right thing for you to do is just wait...I guess the message
> should say that. :-(

But I did, and the script ended.  It did not go one to setting
everything up,  it seemed.
>> So I promptly, :-! , did a rm -fr /etc/logrotate.d/
>>
>> I REALLY suspect I removed too much  :'(
>>

> YES. 8-(
>

>> Caution:  You have /home exported more than once in /etc/exports/
>> make sure this is what you want.
>>
>> (I understand what I have to do here, but why did this happen?)
>>

> You had the script add a '/home <network>(options)' line for you once
> before, and you were adding another export. This doesn't hurt
> anything, but it's good for you to be aware of it. Maybe the script
> should say "Warning" instead of "Caution"; there's a well-established
> convention that "warnings" are workable while "errors" are not.

Since these are duplicates, could not the script NOT add the duplicate?
>> /etc/cron.daily/smbldap-ldif-backups already exists, will overwrite in
>> 10 seconds (CTRL+C to cancel)....
>> Well this time I did not touch the keyboard and am waiting for HELP!!!
>>

> Good plan, but you've probably waited long enough now. :)

The script ended at this point.  Seemed like prematurely.  That is, I
seem to recall the first time through more going on...

Definitely did NOT get asked the smb password.
>> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:57:12 -0700
>> From: Roger <roger.in.eugene at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure
>> Oops.
>> You removed *all* the logrotate files.   Any logs that get rotated had
>> their definitions in that directory. (well, most anyway). What the
>> script was going to do was overwrite the one.
>>

> Yes.
>

>> A more appropriate means of removal was probably
>> rm  /etc/logrotate.d/smbldap-ldif-backups
>>

> Yes.
>

>> Be wary of "-rf" with "rm" unless you are absolutely sure of  what will happen.
>> Is this a redhat box?   redhat has a means of working with the package
>> manager to verify existance of files from the packages.  Not sure if
>> you could use that to figure out what *used* to be there.
>> Debian may have a similar feature.
>>

> I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but my ham-fisted and
> blundering approach would be to use 'dpkg -S' on a similar box to
> figure out which packages have files under /etc/logrotate.d, and then
> go to your smbldap box and do an 'apt-get install --reinstall' for
> each one of those packages.

I have to figure out what I have is a similar box (hey anyone out there
in Centos with a similar box?).  Then I would do yum whatever?  As I
don't have apt...