[K12OSN] Re: re: smbldap-installer: multiple /home folders possible? (David Whitmer) (Matt Oquist) (David Whitmer)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Fri Aug 11 07:41:01 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Whitmer <dwblue02 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] re: smbldap-installer: multiple /home folders possible? (David Whitmer) (Matt Oquist)
> > Oops - the below solution won't get Winders(TM) clients to map the
> > user home folders from the correct machine; everything in the WAN will
> > be using the PDC.
> > I *think* this problem goes away if you create each site's users while
> > you're on the slave LDAP server (PDC) at that site, but I'm not 100%
> > confident.
> > David - this means that you really would want to set up a slave LDAP
> > server (BDC) if you want Winders(TM) clients to access home folders
> > stored on server B directly.
> > --matt
> Will this only be an issue once we have a WAN?  We don't have one right now (though we will in one or two years, so this is good for me to know regardless).
> Assuming your above recommendation also applies to our current situation... Server A contains student home folders, server B the teacher home folders, and server C is the PDC.  Could servers A & B each additionally be a BDC?

Yes, this applies to all situations involving multiple file
servers/distributed home directories. Yes, your servers A and B should
be BDCs, and you should create the account for each user (using
smbldap-useradd-bulk) on the server where her home directory lives.

I just tested this, and it works as I've been describing. (I wasn't
100% certain before.)

I even tested it with a FC5 PDC and an Ubuntu BDC - works like
a charm!

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/