[K12OSN] phone system

Tim Frichtel tfrichtel at socal.rr.com
Fri Aug 11 14:58:38 UTC 2006

We're using Switchvox http://www.switchvox.com/ which is a commercial
user-interface on top of  Asterisk (open source PBX code).  We've found
it to be solid, and the support has been excellent.  It has voicemail
and more. You basically buy a pre-configured system of server and
phones.  For public announcements, it depends on your speaker system.
We have amplified ceiling speakers that all connect to a Bogen TAM-B
which connects to a Sipura ATA which is another extension on the phone
system. We have 140 lines on a single Dell server.  One thing you'll
need to think about is power to the phones.  If you go with Power Over
Ethernet you'll need a new switch, otherwise, you'll have to provide
power next to each phone :-(  Power redundancy is important - if you
lose power, you can't call, which could put you in a bad spot,
especially if 911 is needed.

Tim