[K12OSN] Re: smbldap-installer reinstall failure (Robert Moskowitz)

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Aug 11 16:00:38 UTC 2006

Matt Oquist wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:54:52 -0400
>> From: "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com>
>> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer reinstall failure (Robert Moskowitz)

>>> Yes, though perhaps we should have something in there about deleting
>>> old LDAP databases first.
>>>
>> I thought that was a backup of the old databases in there?
>>

> I wasn't speaking of the database backups here, I was speaking of the
> actual databases, [usually] stored in /var/lib/ldap.
>
> You should 'rm -rf /var/lib/ldap/*' before you re-run the
> smbldap-installer. BEWARE! This deletes your current databases! (But
> no the backups.)

Wow!   __db.002 is 321Mb and I have not successfully added anything yet!

Well that deleted EVERYTHING in the /var/lilb/ldap directory.

>>> The right thing for you to do is just wait...I guess the message
>>> should say that. :-(
>>>
>> But I did, and the script ended.  It did not go one to setting
>> everything up,  it seemed.
>>

> Oh. Maybe it should print something more, I suppose. I expect that it
> really did finish, though, unless you're *sure* it never said anything
> about "/etc/cron.<something>/smbldap-ldif-backup".

Yes, I see in the smbldap-configure.log file all those errors about what
is NOT getting added to the database.

>>> You had the script add a '/home <network>(options)' line for you once
>>> before, and you were adding another export. This doesn't hurt
>>> anything, but it's good for you to be aware of it. Maybe the script
>>> should say "Warning" instead of "Caution"; there's a well-established
>>> convention that "warnings" are workable while "errors" are not.
>>>

>> Since these are duplicates, could not the script NOT add the duplicate?
>>

> 'Cuz you said you wanted it to. I suppose it could ask for
> confirmation if it's a second time; good idea.

Well I just deleted the exports file for the next run around.