[K12OSN] Which distro for second server?

Krsnendu Dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:53:03 UTC 2006

I have successfully migrated from my old K12LTSP 4.2 server to an identical
box running K12LTSP5.0
I would now like to use the old box as a Backuppc server and to run Windows
XP under VMware server for some legacy apps.
Also looking to install Koha, library manager and Asterisk, VoIP PABX
system.

I am quite familiar with Fedora having used it for a few years now with
K12LTSP. I have also installed Ubuntu at home and find it quite easy to use.

I am trying to decide which distribution to use for the backup server.
Here are the pluses and minuses for each as I see it.

K12LTSP-
+
Can use as a redundant load balancing terminal server as the demand
increases -- > increased performance / reliability
Could set up proxy to yum updates only have to be downloaded once --> (save
a few bucks on internet charges)
-
Trickier to set up Backuppc (I had a hard time trying last year.)

UBUNTU
+
Easy to install Backuppc (apt-get backuppc does most of the work
automatically)
VMware server is also in apt-get repositories
easy LAMP (web server) installation option
-
Another system to understand and maintain

Any other point that could help my decision?