[K12OSN] home directory listing for teachers

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 03:34:58 UTC 2006

> You mentioned the sticky bit... I thought all the
> sticky bit did was to only allow the files from
> being renamed/deleted by the user, root, or
> directory owner?

Ah, there are _two_ sticky bits in *nix.

The "other" one (`chmod o+s ...`) used to keep a
file in RAM, and now since its old function has
been obsoleted by virtual memory is used restrict
file rename/deletion within a directory to only
the user that owns the file.

The "group" one (`chmod g+s ...`) is used to
specify that all new files within a directory
are to be automatically forced to have their
group be the same as the group of the directory
(rather than what it otherwise would have been).

Modern use of both sticky bits only makes sense
when they are specified on directories, not
individual files.

Chuck Kollars