[K12OSN] Samba / W2K login script issue

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Thu Aug 17 09:21:41 UTC 2006

Bert Rolston wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I've run into a problem with a W2K machine and winders login scripts.
>
> I've tried googling Samba.org and tried a couple of the suggestions in
> their archives, without any success.
>
> I've searched through the K12OSN digests without any luck.
>
> So, now I'm going to ask here.
>
> I have a W2K (SP4) computer logging in to my FC5 / Samba 3.0xxxx server.
> Samba is set up to act a the PDC. This works fine.
>
> I can use network neighbourhood and see all the share. I can access all
> the shares.
>
> If I try to launch the login script from \\servername\netlogon I get an
> error message about UNC paths, then it proceeds as below.
>
> I can manually map Z: to the netlogon share and run the login script.
>
> This produces the following error message
>
> "net use h: /home
> The user's home directory could not be determined
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3915"  (which tells me to
> create the user's home directory)
>
> The user's home directory exists. the unix permissions are 777, samba
> permissions are RW to all known users.
>
> The rest of the login script will map all the drives.
>
> The script DOESN'T run automagically when the user logs in to the
> network. I've put a pause into the script to ensure it stays on screen.
> It doesn't.
>
> I suspect the problem lies in the [global] section of my smb.conf, but
> please don't let that limit any help you can give.
>
> Thanks,
> Bert (long time lurking on this list)

This is what I have on my Samba 3.x box

smb.conf global section :-

logon script = startup.bat

startup.bat is :-

NET USE x: /delete
NET USE x: \\rho2\netlogon
set USERPROFILE=%HOMEDRIVE%
set TEMP=c:\temp
set TMP=c:\temp
%0\..\kix32 %0\..\logon.kix
GOTO END

and I use kixstart to map the drives, it kix32 lives in the netlogon share and this is what the
logon.kix script contains (editted just to important bits)

login.kix contains :-

Use P: /delete
	Use P: "\\rho2\homes"
	IF @ERROR = 0
		? "Connected to Home Dir"
	ELSE
		? "Not Connected to Home Dir"
	ENDIF

USE X: /DELETE /PERSISTENT

The last line is important for me as I don't like students seeing whats in the netlogon share :-)

If you'd like more info about any of this drop me a line

Brian
Portsmouth College