[K12OSN] File ownership help

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sat Aug 19 21:19:49 UTC 2006

You may be thinking of the group sticky bit.  If you set this on a
directory, the group for any files created in that directory will be the
same as the group of the directory itself.  So, for example if you have
a directory /common and the group for it is users, and I, with ID
petre:petre, meaning my primary group is also called petre, put a file
in that directory, the group for that file will be users, not petre.  To
insure that everyone in the users group can read & write that file,
check the default umask, which strips rights away from files; hint,
you'll want the umask to be 002 if the group will need write permissions
for the files created. You set the stick bit with chmod:

chmod g+s common

HTH

Petre