[K12OSN] New Questions

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 01:38:41 UTC 2006

On 20/08/06, Mel Wade <mel at melwade.com> wrote:
> We are a Windows shop.  Can we have the login for the LTSP validate with the
> Win 2000/3 AD and still have the ablility to lock down the desktops for all
> but Admins and Student Admins?
> Can I map their home folders to a Windows 2000/3 server home folder?

Look at list archieves and wiki at k12ltsp.org and ltsp.org for both.
But why would you want to do that? IMHO you will need licensing for
every client that authenticates itself with winbox.

> Is there a list of network cards that will work "out of the box" for PXE
> boot wint LTSP?  Are there any low cost ones that are recommended?

Most of rtl8139 chip based cards work fine. dlink/compex are cheaper
ones and work just fine.

> Anything advice in getting this up and running in less than a week?  I'm not
> a Linix guru but hope to do this without any big problems.

After the CD download you can have the first network up and running
within a matter f one day using default setup.
> That's it for a start.  Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.
> --
> Mel Wade
> "I love it when a plan comes together." - Hannibal
> www.melwade.com

Regards,
Sudev Barar