[K12OSN] user's can't login in after FC5 install

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Aug 21 13:21:49 UTC 2006

Did you copy the users' $HOME directories over from a previous release?  I've found that
sometimes has the effect of kicking users out because some setting, say, gnome-related,
doesn't work with the new version/libraries/etc.  As a quick test, rename a
problem-user's home directory to something inconsequential, create a new home directory,
put the contents of /etc/skel into it, and have the user try it.  Assuming it works, you
then have to go through the tedious process of moving the user's files by hand rather
than wholesale, but at least the user can get online in the meantime.  Or you can try to
find out what directory/setting is causing the problem.  If you're using gnome, I'd try
moving the .gnome* directories out and see if that fixes things.