[K12OSN] Weird Video

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Aug 22 14:17:42 UTC 2006

Petre,

I think there's 2 issues:

1)  Prior to LTSP-4.2 (k12ltsp-5.0), we had both X.org AND a much older
     xfree86 v3.3.6.  The 'vidlist' file pointed to the xfree86 3.3.6
drivers for
     cards like the s3 and s3v.  In LTSP-4.2 we dropped the older stuff
because
     it was quite a bit of overhead to have both.  Unfortunately, the
drivers in
     Xfree86 4.x and X.org still aren't very good for the s3 cards.

2)  There seems to be some new bugs in Xorg for the i810 chipsets.  I
haven't
     had a chance to dig in and see what's going on there.

For #1, I hope that support for s3 cards will improve over time.

For #2, I'm certain that i810 support will be fixed, if it's not
already.  In fact, with Keith Packard working at Intel now, the quality
of the drivers for Intel chipsets will definitely be getting a lot better.

Jim.