[K12OSN] OT: bug in /sbin/sort?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Aug 22 20:16:02 UTC 2006

The -S does work for ls, but I have some other cases where I'm just sorting some rows in
files, not just the output from ls.  I had tried the --key but wasn't smart enough to
figure out that the columns start at 1 rather than 0 like it used to do with the +n
syntax.  So, thanks to everyone who pointed out how to make that syntax work.  But it
troubles me that the syntax I've been using for 10+ years on all kinds of different
Unixes suddenly doesn't work.  Google hasn't turned up any mention of that syntax being
deprecated or of a bug.

Petre