[K12OSN] Getting MPlayer installed

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Aug 23 17:00:29 UTC 2006

> This thing wgets and installs stuff from many different sites. Many
> of the installations aren't controlled by your package manager. It adds
> several different Yum repositories.
>
> Why does it untar it's own kdesu when it's available from the kdebase
> package? Why does it install an old version (7.0.5) of Adobe Reader with
> security problems?
> http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331710.html
>
> If you're intent on using this, untar it, and read through the
> frog.script to see what it's _really_ doing.

At this point, I don't really care.  It works.  I have battled Multimedia on
Linux since I started using it.  Now I can check half a dozen boxes and stuff
plays....finally.  I don't have to navigate to all the different sites myself
and figure out what codecs are needed for WMV's, what apps and crap I need for
MP3's, and then install it all.  It adds the repositories for me.

At this point, I am happy to remain ignorant and have something simple that works.

<puts fingers in ears....na.na.na.na.na.......... :-)>