[K12OSN] strange rdesktop and Windows Terminal Server issue

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 03:53:07 UTC 2006

I have re-installed my K12LTSP servers and they seem happy (after many struggles with the RAID, but ... now happy).

So, now, new users cannot connect using rdesktop from one of them to one of my Windows Terminal Servers.  I have two Linux TS (say A and B)), and two Windows TS (say C and D).

Now, the weirdness.  If a user does not have an .rdesktop directory with a license in it, then the  following happens.  On Server A the user can connect without issue to either server C or D.  But, using Server B the user can only connect to Server C.  Once a connection has been made and the license file created, then the user  can connect to either Server C or D. Identical installs for A and B and for C and D.  To me this means the issue lies (somehow) with my Windows Terminal Server D.

The work-around that I am using is I have connected to Server C from a generic account.  Then, I have copied the resulting license file to all users that don't have a license file (or .rdesktop directory).  I am most likely violating some sort of license policy, but ... I have TS Device TSCALS for all the systems that are supposed to connect (I count each thin client that is allowed to be used to connect as a device and have enough to cover them , even though only the main Linux terminal server will actually show up from Windows perspective).

If anyone has any idea why one of the terminal servers will not let users connect, but the other will, I am interested in finding out.  The server does show that a license was issued to the system in question and it expires in about 2 months.  But, then so does the other system.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins