[K12OSN] Lab of Linux machines

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 01:10:29 UTC 2006

Here's an interesting article showing how to make a
list of software that is installed on your machine, so
you can re-install it all in one shot if needed.  I
suppose it would also work to install that same
software on a different machine (running the same OS).

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-get-list-installed-software-reinstallation-restore.html

Fedora and RedHat have a kickstart utility (I think
that's what it's called) to help you automate
installations.

Once you've got all your machines w/ the same software
installed, keeping them the same is easy.  Either
don't perform any updates, or perform updates on all
of them (possibly with a cron job).

Another possibility is to create a local repository
with all the software you want installed on your lab
machines.  Then you can tell the machines to get all
their software from your local repository.  I'm not
sure how you'd go about telling the machines to
install everything on that repository, but I imagine
it can be done.

-Rob