[K12OSN] anyone doing automated yum updates?

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 18:14:57 UTC 2006

Hi!

We currently have 4 K12LTSP v5 systems right now at our K12 school.  I'm thinking of setting them up to automatically yum update themselves (I've been doing it manually about once a week).  In case it matters, one of these is our school's LDAP PDC, and another is an LDAP BDC.

Are any of you doing automated yum updates on your K12LTSP servers?  If you are:

a) How often does your automated process run? (daily, weekly, etc)

b) If you followed Fedora's instructions in their online documentation (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/en/sn-updating-your-system.html), did those directions work well?

c) Are there any "gotchas" I should watch out for?
(for example, I think a while ago someone on the list mentioning that he has yum exclude kernel updates when running automatically)

Thanks in advance!

David Whitmer
Calvary Schools of Holland, Michigan