[K12OSN] terminals now fail to boot

Alexander Hicks a_hicks at shakerroad.pvt.k12.nh.us
Wed Aug 30 14:47:06 UTC 2006

Hi Everybody,

I've just setup a server with K12LTSP 4.4.1 and had everything working fine
until I imported users and rsync'd the home folders ~ now none of the
terminals will boot - they hang with the messages below.  Free beer and a
round of golf at our course if you can help!

New server setup was as follows:

>From Last year's FC3 sever (same machine as this year):

Export Users to our FC4 (4.4.1) proxy server via Webmin

Export home folders to proxy server with rsync -essh -av .
192.168.0.12:/home

Ignore message about possible "man in the middle attack"

Clean, default, install of LTSP 4.4.1 on old server (now new server).

Setup DNS on new server

All terminals boot without problems (by either PXE or Universal Floppy)

Install Webmin on new server.

Import users from proxy server to new server via Webmin

Export home folders from proxy server to new server with rsync -essh -av .
192.168.0.254:/home

Ignore message about possible "man in the middle attack"

Home folders moved without incident.

Terminals now hang with the following message:

(by PXE)

Client Mac Addr: 00 13 90 00 f7 a7

Client IP: 192.168.0.192 Mask 255.255.255.0 DHCP IP: 192.168.0.254

Gateway IP: 192.168.0.254

PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout

TFTP.

-or, by universal floppy

Me: 192.168.0.188 Server: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.254

Eventually they both declare boot failure and request a reset.

We have a wide variety of terminals and all show this message (with changing
local IP's)

The server appears to be working fine, handing out addresses to both Win and
Linux machines, as well as network devices

Internet through K12LTSP server is fine

Samba from Proxy is also fine.

Yum updating all now and hoping that a reboot will fix it, but I doubt it as
I've already repeated everything above, just to see if I screwed something
up the first time.

I have very limited knowledge of how Linux works, so any help to get our
campus going would be really appreciated.

Thanks

~Alex

Alexander Hicks

Technology Coordinator