[K12OSN] samba 3.0.23a - cannot join domain

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Aug 2 21:22:17 UTC 2006

mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us wrote:
> I just did a yum update this morning and it installed samba
> 3.0.23a-1.fc5.1.  Now, I can no longer join new XP Pro PC's to the domain.
>  After bringing down the server and bringing up it's backup which still
> had 3.0.22-1.fc5, I had no problems adding a lab full of PC's.  I am still
> using smbpasswd support for this server and this is the PDC.  I migrated
> the passwd, shadow and smbpasswd files from the backup server to the
> primary server and now am able to use the new PC's.
>
> I just reported this to the samba list.
>
> So how do I find the install package for samba 3.0.22-1.fc5 and reinstall
> it on our primary server using yum?
>
> Mark Orenstein
> East Granby, CT, USA School System

It looks like you can specify a version number, such as:

	yum install samba-common-3.0.22-1.fc5 samba-3.0.22-1.fc5

You'll have to remove the old (newer;-) packages first, which will
likely be a pain.

I would download the packages and install them by hand... you can
usually find the previous releases in the updates directory on your
favorite Fedora mirror, such as:

ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/

Grab the files you want, then run:

	rpm -Uhv --oldpackage samba*.rpm

-Eric