[K12OSN] Re: *-PDC config? (Paul Lemke)

Paul Lemke lists at paulandmichelle.net
Fri Aug 4 14:21:00 UTC 2006

http://www.vcsvikings.org/docuwiki/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/BugsAndNotes#preview

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Matt Oquist
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:12 PM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: [K12OSN] Re: *-PDC config? (Paul Lemke)

> From: "Paul Lemke" <lists at paulandmichelle.net>
> Subject: [K12OSN] *-PDC config?
>
> Hello all,
> I used the smb-ldap installer a while ago. I setup the server with most of
> the default settings in the script. One of them was I'm assuming setting
up
> the PDC's computer name. "DOMAINCOM-PDC" is what it set it as. A few days
> ago I had to change the server name. So I thought the only place where
this
> DOMAINCOM-PDC was located was the samba config file. So I changed the
samba
> config and everything worked great....
>
> The I tried to login to a pc via a domain account. Windows 2k tried to
> locate the roaming profile... but it was looking for it at:
> \\DOMAINCOM-PDC\profiles\. Can someone help me locate this setting so I
can
> change it? Thanks!!
> Paul

'slapcat | grep PDC' will show you where the problem really is.

Doing this should fix you up:

$ /etc/init.d/smb stop (or whatever your service name is, maybe "samba")
$ /etc/init.d/ldap stop (or whatever your service name is, maybe "slapd")
$ slapcat > ldap.ldif
$ cp ldap.ldif ldap.ldif.bak
$ sed -i 's/OLDNAME/NEWNAME/g' ldap.ldif
$ cd /var/lib/ldap
$ rm -rf *
$ slapadd < ldap.ldif
$ /etc/init.d/ldap start (or whatever your service name is, maybe "slapd")
$ /etc/init.d/smb start (or whatever your service name is, maybe "samba")

You want to more-or-less follow the instructions on the
DisasterRecovery page of the documentation site:
http://www.vcsvikings.org/docuwiki/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/DisasterRecovery

...with the exception that you want to replace OLDNAME with NEWNAME in
your LDIF file before you repopulate your DB.

Would you mind jotting down notes on this process on the documentation
wiki, so other folks can figure out how to do this, too?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/