[K12OSN] Re: Running in to an Edubuntu Wall

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sun Aug 6 22:29:03 UTC 2006

Jim McQuillan wrote:
> On Fri, August 4, 2006 4:38 pm, pogson wrote:
>> "R. Scott Belford" <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
>>
>> 1. ebnet and UBF floppies do not boot clients.  They produce the error
>> The same clients boot great with a PXE enabled NIC.
>
> Etherboot is expecting a 'NBI Tagged kernel'.  pxelinux.0 isn't that.  I
> think that newer versions of Etherboot are capable of loading a PXE boot
> loader, but i've not tried it myself.

I wonder if there is an newer EB boot diskette that integrates the newer
version.

>> 2. eth0 has to be configured, and dhcp likely has to be edited
>> 3. Clients that work great with K12LTSP will not work as well with
>> Edubuntu.  I had to use VESA emulation for some of my workhorses.
>
> Which version of K12LTSP ?

This client has booted with all prior versions of the K12LTSP. (that I
have tried)

--------------8<--------snip----------------------8<---------

> the LTSP that is included in Dapper is fairly good, but not quite
> feature-complete when compared to LTSP-4.2.  The LTSP that will ship with
> Edgy will be MUCH better.  Also, we're now in the process of switching
> LTSP.org's implementation to be based on the work that Matt and Oliver did
> to get LTSP into Ubuntu.  Soon, they will be nearly identical, which will
> allow us to focus on the parts of LTSP that really make it special.

This is clearly a more impressive undertaking than I understand.  Well
done, keep up the good work, and let me us know if testing help is needed.

> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

--scott