[K12OSN] Update from FC2 to FC5 via SSH?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 10 01:06:34 UTC 2006

Hi Jim,

It _is_ possible (although all of your alternative methods _are_ better
methods).

If you can get a copy of the RPMS directory loaded onto the machine to
upgrade, you can do it all with just rpm commands over an ssh
connection.

From the new RPMS directory on the server:

rpm -Fvh *.rpm

This will Freshen (i.e. upgrade packages if and only if they are already
installed) the existing installation. Sadly, the rpm -Uvh *.rpm will
upgrade or install everything instead of just upgrading the already
installed packages.

The gotcha is going to be X11->xorg conversion. FC2 used X11 and all FC
releases after that went to xorg. The package names changed so the -Fvh
may not catch it. In that case, you will need to do a manual rpm removal
of the old X11 files and then a manual rpm install of the new xorg
packages.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>