[K12OSN] $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 10 15:34:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:52:17 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote
> On 10/08/06, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
>
> > chmod 755 /home/username
> > chown username /home/username
> >
> > It fixes the problem.  But this allows other users to browse /home/username's
> > folder.  I don't want that.
>
> try 751 inplace of 755?

Thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't work.

However, in my flurry of googling I found this. I modified
/etc/gdm/custom.conf and added the following line under the [security] section:
RelaxPermissions=1

That fixed it.

>From what I read this shouldn't cause me any other problems, it just relaxes
GDM so that my directory permissions don't have to match its rules perfectly.
 I'll post back out if I notice any trouble in the future.

Hopefully this helps others who don't want the /home directories browseable by
other students.