[K12OSN] Dumb Sound Question

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Fri Aug 11 17:52:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, August 11, 2006 11:04 am, Timothy Hart wrote:
> That is what I thought. But then why am I getting this error message.
>
> The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control.
> This
> means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or
> that you don't have a sound card configured.
>
> You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the
> speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.
>
> Default install on K12LTSP 5 with esd activated. I am on a client from
> disklessworkstations.com. I get the message when I click the volume icon
> in
> the top right. When I run the sound card detector it doesn't find
> anything?

You need an 'esd aware' mixer.  The mixer in Gnome isn't.

Also, don't expect the 'source card detector' to find a sound card in a
thin client.  It has no clue about things out on the network. It only can
look at local stuff.

Keep in mind that Audio on LTSP is still very rough.  We haven't put the
time into audio, like we have for Local block devices.

ESD works for most, you'll just need to use a proper mixer, and you'll
need to tell Gnome that your audio server is esd.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org