[K12OSN] Lingering Release Issues

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sat Aug 12 11:47:40 UTC 2006

Aloha Folks

Not unlike Wilson, my stalwart has come up lame on this latest upgrade.
  I just can't figure it, so to speak.  After upgrading a lab working
with no modifications from {whatever-the-release-was} 2.5 years ago,
more than half my clients are not behaving well.  The upgrade of choice
was release 5.  I have installed it twice and performed all the
upgrades.  The issues are the same before and after the upgrades.

Issue One

xf86MapVidMem: Coud no mmap framefubber (0xf5000000, 0x8000000) (Cannot
allocate memory)

Issue Two

Some clients come up with the the bubbles and the new desktop.  Some do
not.  Instead, they have desktops with no icons, and no icons can be
added to the desktop.  A few, not all, of the clients have the courtesy
to inform me that "The application Nautilus quit unexpectedly"

These same clients will not load Firefox.  They will load Konqueror.
They launch every other program in the applications menu.

The clients with the bubbly desktop do everything quite nicely, though
their screensaver is actually a window smaller than the desktop.  I am
not making any of this up.

All but two of these are the black ibm units as seen here

http://www.hosef.org/gallery2/v/installations/bgch-ewa/lineup2.jpg.html

I do not know if their NICs or Video Cards or RAM configs differ.  I
just know the magic isn't there on this install, and this little doggy
is gettin' away on me.

BTW, another install of K12LTSP5 at a city park is perfect.

Aloha

--scott
--
R. Scott Belford