[K12OSN] Error: Gnome-Power-manager has quit unexpectedly

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 23:26:31 UTC 2006

On 8/12/06, Krsnendu Dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also have error messages related to power management quite frequently. (
> K12LTSP5.0)
>

> On 12/08/06, Wilson Chan < wilson at wilsonch.gotdns.com> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else getting this error in gnome? I tried setting my gnome power
> > management to never/never but that didnt work. Any ideas? Thanks!

We had this same problem when we installed K12LTSP 5 for a large lab at
NECC.  Nick Wheeler fixed it for us as mentioned below:

From: *Nicholas Wheeler <dragoncow2 at gmail.com>* Mailed-By:
*gmail.com*To: *Steve
Hargadon <hargadon at gmail.com >*
Date: *Jul 4, 2006 5:36 PM*
Subject: *power management solutions - gnome-power-manager*

Firstly, I stopped acpid.

/etc/init.d/acpid stop

as acpid and gnome-power-manager could be contending.

To make this change permanent, I did:

$ nvsysv

and 'unchecked' the acpid option.

OTHER:  I have not done this yet, but if the problem is not fixed a
quick-and-dirty fix is to simply make gnome-power- manager not run. The way
to do this is, as root

$ locate autostart | grep -i power | xargs -n1 rm

That will delete all the gnome-power-manager.desktop files under the
autostart folders for all users, and /usr/share/ gnome/autostart/gnome-power
-manager.desktop

This by no means does not fix the problem, but instead ignores it, which is
just as good :o)

--
Nicholas Wheeler
Systems Administrator