[K12OSN] Existing users and moving to LDAP

Burke Almquist balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Sun Aug 13 22:14:47 UTC 2006

	I have a set of existing users that are currently setup as regular
unix users and samba users using unix  synchronization in Samba.  I'm
moving to LDAP and it looks easy to just bulk add them using the
smbldap tools and then just delete them from the passwd, shadow, and
group file (since they will be authing from LDAP now). The only
problem is getting them to keep using the same userID; I don't see a
way to specify a UID number in the bulk add. If I can keep the UID
number and username the same, I'm going to have to go changing
permissions on all the home dirs and shared folders, and that's going
to be a pain.  I don't mind changing the passwords, or re-adding the
users, just as long as they can keep their username and UID number.
Is there any way to do that?