[K12OSN] home directory listing for teachers

Paul Lemke lists at paulandmichelle.net
Tue Aug 15 03:17:25 UTC 2006

Hello all,
So I guess this would be an easy question for you linux veterans out there.
but it's really stumping me as I don't have to use linux every day.

I'm trying to setup a way for the teachers to get access to the students
home directories. Currently they are all located in "/home/username/". They
currently have default permissions of 700 and owned by
"username:gradegroup". I currently have smbldap setup and working.

Ideally I'd love to setup a samba share for the teachers. It would list
folders for each grade (five, six, etc.), then inside those folders list the
users home folders and allow the teachers to go in and read/write/delete,
etc.

I have no idea how to make that happen... we'll I have an idea, but I doubt
it's correct.

I was going to change the ownership of the home directories for the kids...
"username:teachergroup" and chmod it to 770. Then a softlink share in samba
would show all the users home directories. But it doesn't let me break it up
by gradegroup.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a better way to do what I want to
accomplish? I look forward to hearing your wisdom!!
Thanks,
Paul