[K12OSN] Samba / W2K login script issue

Bert Rolston bert.rolston at clear.net.nz
Thu Aug 17 03:30:11 UTC 2006

Hey folks,

I've run into a problem with a W2K machine and winders login scripts.

I've tried googling Samba.org and tried a couple of the suggestions in
their archives, without any success.

I've searched through the K12OSN digests without any luck.

So, now I'm going to ask here.

I have a W2K (SP4) computer logging in to my FC5 / Samba 3.0xxxx server.
Samba is set up to act a the PDC. This works fine.

I can use network neighbourhood and see all the share. I can access all
the shares.

If I try to launch the login script from \\servername\netlogon I get an
error message about UNC paths, then it proceeds as below.

I can manually map Z: to the netlogon share and run the login script.

This produces the following error message

"net use h: /home
The user's home directory could not be determined
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3915"  (which tells me to
create the user's home directory)

The user's home directory exists. the unix permissions are 777, samba
permissions are RW to all known users.

The rest of the login script will map all the drives.

The script DOESN'T run automagically when the user logs in to the
network. I've put a pause into the script to ensure it stays on screen.
It doesn't.

I suspect the problem lies in the [global] section of my smb.conf, but
please don't let that limit any help you can give.

Thanks,
Bert (long time lurking on this list)