[K12OSN] Specify the correct sound module, onboard video settings, a new school year, and an update on RMSEL

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 12:54:35 UTC 2006

Hello everyone:

We are getting ready for the new school year to start next week. Our
biggest news this year is that teachers want  even more computers in
their rooms. The past two years we've made sure every teacher had at
least four, and sometimes six in each classroom. The past two years have
gone so well, hardly any downtime, everything has been working
beautifully. We had $11,000 left in our budget from last school year
because of k12ltsp, and the improvements we've made to the entire system
over the last five years, so we were able to add some additional wiring
to three classrooms and we are installing "mini-labs" in them. Two
middle school humanities classrooms will have 8 computers each, and the
high school Science & Technology class will have 16 computers. Of course
I have been on the hunt all summer for smaller machines to put into
these classrooms and found that I really like the small Dell GX150  --
with the pxe boot capability, the USB ports right on the front, they
configure beautifully, sound is detected on boot, making them really
easy to drop into the building, plus the computer tables aren't so
crowded in the classrooms. Well, they are my favorite computer for RMSEL
right now. A lot of them seem to be on the shelf at the recylers right now.

Someone donated four Dell GX60 desktops, which look just like the GX150s
-- I thought I was going to tear my hair out getting sound and video to
work properly. Sound has become an absolute must now because of all the
web-based educational programs out there. We are a K-12 school.

I learned two things yesterday that will help me in the future:  Since
the sound module wasn't detected automatically and none of the sound
modules I had previously had to specify with other difficult
workstations were correct, I went to the Dell website to find what type
of soundcard came with that model. (More precisely what chipset was
used.) "Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio" was listed under audio
driver downloads. I googled that with the word chipset and found some
discussion that said this was a common Intel chipset that was used on
lots of laptops and other desktops with onboard sound and video. I
didn't know where there was a listing of the sound modules for ltsp, but
decided to read thoroughly everything that was posted on the wiki about
sound. I found a paper on the wiki about getting sound to work that
referenced this file:  /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/audiolist.   Bingo! I found
the sound module listed for Intel  Corporation and I set SMODULE_01 =
i810_audio and it worked on reboot!

Is it possible to reference this file, audiolist, in the "lts.conf"
file. I know there are too many sound modules to include a listing like
you do for the XSERVER drivers (which is a huge help when you have a
video card that won't configure automatically, you can look at the label
on the chipset and find the correct module in lts.conf), but just to
know that the file audiolist is there and where it lives would have been
great information to have had long ago. I've struggled before with
getting the right sound modules and stumbled on the right one in an
email post. But I was never so glad to find this file. Many thanks to
the author of this document (document says it was last updated June 25,
2003) on the wiki:
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3ASound in which it
states:  "The first thing this script will do is attempt to load any
sound modules which have been defined (SMODULE_0? = ????) in lts.conf.

If no sound modules were manually specified, or the ones specified did
not load properly, the rc.sound script probes the PCI bus and tries to
load the modules for any sound cards it finds (as defined in
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/audiolist). " YEAH!!

My next challenge with the GX60 was the video -- the screen on two of
them displayed normally, and on two the login screen was huge and when I
logged into the desktop everything was huge. I tried setting the desktop
manually to 1024x768 but that didn't work. I went into the bios settings
and discovered that when I increased the ram from 1 MB to 8 MB (the
maximum) in the onboard devices > video settings the desktop looked
great. I also turned some video setting to ENABLED that had been
DISABLED ( I can't remember what it was, but it made sense to at least
try it, and it improved the appearance of the video so I went with it).

I know the above information might be very basic to some of you, but
hopefully this will save someone some time.

Have a great school year everyone,

Rita Gibson
RMSELTech

P.S. If you haven't done so already, check out Steve Hargadon's
interviews about k12ltsp and linux in schools at
http://www.K12OpenSource.com/interviews  I would love to see our
district embrace k12ltsp -- I wonder if I could get one of the big
honchos to listen in?