[K12OSN] Sound Issues

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Thu Aug 17 17:04:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to finish an install of a 5.0.0 K12ltsp server and it is
*almost* ready.  Unfortunately, trying to get sound on the terminals has
been very frustrating.  I've tried countless Google searches and changed
a bunch of things in lts.conf but still can't get sound working.

The server: a Dell Poweredge with dual 933 processors, 2 gig ram, scsi
drives. All yum updates applied.
The terminals: Dell GXa and GX1 computers with built in CS4236B sound cards.

lts.conf has the line:

SMODULE_01       = "cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

When the terminals boot, you'll see a line that modprobe has found a
cs4236b device at io=0x534 irq=5 and dma=1.  Yet the next line reads
"probe of 01:01:00 failed with and error code of -16".

Is the cs4232 driver the correct one for the cs4236b?  Is there
something else that needs to be configured or updated to get the sound
to work?

Otherwise, the rest of the system seems to be running very well.
Programs launch quickly and run rather nicely.  The ability to access
floppies and cds by default is *very* nice.

All help and ideas is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Barry