[K12OSN] Improving Java and Flash performance

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:56:41 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Dan Visentin <visentind at hdsb.ca> wrote:

>  apologies for the font of my previous message... my default mail font was
> too big...
>
> Anyhow, one problem with the K12LTSP system is that online Java and Flash
> apps suck up tremendous amounts of processor resources and seriously bog the
> system down to almost unusable.  A number of teachers like to use the
> various online simulations that are often available for science courses.
>  Any ideas on how to improve this performance?
>

>From your other post I am assuming your are running 56 clients off a dual
opteron system with 6G ram.

These are general advice items which may help with your problem.

1) definitely use gigabit ethernet connection to your dedicated switch
(gigabit port on switch).
2) use a couple of fast 15k rpm scsi drives in a raid 1 (software raid is
good) If you can't get scsi then at least get the 10k rpm sata raptors.
3) (biggest improvement) if your tyan board supports dual core cpu then
replace your two cpus with dual core opterons (4 cores)
4) (probably your best solution) buy another server for the other lab and
put home on the one with faster drives. Mount it nfs from the other server.
Check the wiki on how to do this.

BTW Your experience of having a MS centric district is something many of us
on this list have in common.

Dan Visentin
> M. M. Robinson H.S.
> "As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing."

Robert Arkiletian