[K12OSN] Talking to school about K12LTSP

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 19:58:10 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Henry Hartley <henryhartley at westat.com> wrote:

>  Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
> Not sure how well k12ltsp would work in a wireless situation. Maybe
> someone else can answer that.
>
> I'm more looking forward to when we have a wired network.  No, I don't
> think wireless is fast enough for LTSP.
>
> But as long as you don't have /home mounted nfs. You can simply issue the
> command
> #ifdown eth1
> No internet.
> #ifup eth1
> Internet is back.
> It's that easy. I do it all the time to prevent kids from getting
> distracted while I am lecturing. You can put it in a cron job or do it
> manually, whatever.
>
> Is that a per client setting?  Or for the entire server?  We want to
> control this at the client level, or at least at the group level.

It's for  the entire server. All clients and the server.

For the client or group level I'd imagine someone on the list could write a
little script to do what you want. Solution might be changing persmission on
an integral file which allows internet access. I'd like to see such a script
myself.

--
> Henry

Robert Arkiletian