[K12OSN] Lab Monitoring

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 18:25:55 UTC 2006

On 8/20/06, Mel Wade <mel at melwade.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to monitor the screens of the lab computers running
> K12LTSP?  We need to be able to view what any particular user is doing for a
> school lab environment.

Yes, as others have mentioned, fl_teachertool will do that and more things
like broadcasting a window to all students for demo purposes.

If you are using K12LTSP 5.0

1) Edit the file /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf and uncomment (remove the "#")
from the following line:

                 X4_MODULE_02 = vnc

2) Now you'll have to make a password for the vnc-session. Run this command
as root user:

                /usr/bin/vncpasswd

3) Again as root user copy the password file into the ltsp-tree

               cp -R -p /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/

4) Reboot your clients

As for allowing teachers to run the program.

 Setting Up Fl_TeacherTool to run with sudo:

    Step 1
    Create a group for teachers using "system-config-users".
    For example 'teachers'. Then add that group to all the users who
    you wish to run fl_teachertool.

    Step 2
    become root with
    $su -
    Then run "visudo". It's a special editor for the sudoers file.
    Add the following line to the end of the file using vi editing
techniques

    %teachers  ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/fl_teachertool

    make sure that it's not the last line
    (in other words: don't forget to hit enter)
    If you don't know vi then just goto the last line and hit the
    letter "i" for (insert) then type the above line, hit enter, then hit
    the escape key. Now type    :wq     (hit enter) this saves and exits.

    Step 3
    If your fellow teachers are not comfortable typing "sudo
/usr/sbin/fl_teachertool" then add an
    alias in file .bashrc (notice it starts with a period) in the home
directory of the people who will run the program like this

    # User specific aliases and functions
    alias teach='sudo /usr/sbin/fl_teachertool'

    Then they only have to type "teach"

    or alternatively put a launcher icon with the command
    sudo /usr/sbin/fl_teachertool
    on their desktop

    Enjoy!

--
> Mel Wade
> "I love it when a plan comes together." - Hannibal
> www.melwade.com

Robert Arkiletian