[K12OSN] user's can't login in after FC5 install

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Aug 21 13:44:09 UTC 2006

> dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
>  Over the weekend, I rebuilt our K12LTSP servers to the latest release.
Now, > for many (not all) users, they can start the log on process and then
they are > immediately logged out.  the usersname/password is being acceptedas
valid, but > they are still being logged off.  This is happening to a lot of
teachers.  Has > anyone seen this issue? I tried searching through the
archives since I thought > I had seen this issue discussed earlier, but didn't
find anything.  At present, > I have many annoyed teachers on their first day
(morning) back.

Not sure if this will fix it or not, but my /home directories are not running
the default permissions of 755 for security reasons.  I run either 770 or 700.
 This causes problems with the new version of Gnome.  The following fixed some
problems for me, just give it a try.  First:

vi /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Then in the [security] section add the following line:

[security]
RelaxPermissions=1

Then reboot the server and try to log in with the problem users.  I have never
ran into this before, but it seems to be a security feature.  This just
relaxes Gnome so it isn't so worried about checking permissions to be sure
everyone is safe.

Good luck!