[K12OSN] Re: Mounting SAMBA shares on a Linux workstation

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Aug 22 13:11:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:45:55 +1200, Bert Rolston wrote
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for that. I've just given it a try.
>
> This is the error I get, which is the same as trying to make FSTAB
> changes, or use autofs as suggested on the Redhat website.
>
> mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> As I understand it, i would have to make mount executable by all users.
>
> Any suggestions?

Not sure if this will help, but I have a couple of SAMBA shares set to
automount on my Kubuntu Desktop.  I don't quite understand all of the switches
and such in /etc/fstab as I used Kubuntu's Disk & Filesystems GUI to set it
up.  However, the following code does work, and does autologin and mount my
SAMBA shares at login to be available via my apps without further interaction.
 So I will post the 2 lines from my /etc/fstab for you to look at.

\134\134jmc\134jmcdata /jmcdata smbfs
,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouser,credentials=/etc/fstab_smb_credentials_3 0 0

\134\134file\134Public /home/jim/.cxoffice/win98/drive_c/Public smbfs
,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouser,credentials=/etc/fstab_smb_credentials_4 0 0

Here is the format of the info in the "/etc/fstab_smb_credentials_x" file:

username = jim
password = secret

It appears as though you need to have a separate credentials file for each set
of username/password.

I do not understand what the 134 in \134\134jmc\134jmcdata stands for.  Both
servers are in the workgroup "Workgroup", and the name of the first is "JMC"
and the second "File", and the shared directories are "JMCData" and "Public"
respectively.  The only reason the second is mounted under the .cxoffice
folder in my /home directory is for availability to apps under Cross Over
Office.  Hopefully this will give you enough info to get yours working.

Sorry I didn't follow this post sooner, I hope this helps.