[K12OSN] Weird Video

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Aug 22 13:44:05 UTC 2006

This is an irresponsible, anecdotal reply, but it seems to me that as X.org has evolved,
I've had to specify VESA for the video for more and more of my older machines.  I say
this is irresponsible because I haven't actually documented the pattern.  It just seems
that back in the last Xfree86 days, K12LTSP 3.x, most of my old machines, which tended
to have old video cards with just 2MB of RAM, worked without any special configuration.
  Those same machines sometimes have had difficulty getting X to start with later
versions of K12LTSP using X.org.  In most cases, setting the xserver to VESA fixed the
problem, although sometimes a few more tweaks like memory size were necessary.  The i810
video chipset is a common culprit; there's a lot of discussion in the archives about how
to get it working.

Petre