[K12OSN] LDAP Setup

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 14:56:09 UTC 2006

David Ackerman wrote:
> We are beginning to think of what we can do next with our K12ltsp
> server.  I have noticed lately some discussion about samba and ldap.  We
> are just beginning to think about this and do research.
>

> We have about 100 student users (mostly Windows).  We have a separate
> email server and Moodle server (Ubuntu), both of which involve setting
> up 100 user accounts each (a couple of days work at least).  Plus we run
> a separate server presently SME to filter internet and provide network
> folders for students, another administrative challenge to setup
> accounts.  We do not have any way to know who is accessing forbidden
> sites because there are dynamic ip addresses for the users.  All these
> servers go directly to the internet via a firewall and routers.
>

> Possible solution:  setup K12 (replace SME) to filter internet, provide
> network folders, network login for students (thus we know what they are
> doing), and possibly (?) run about 5 thin clients.  Perhaps then use
> this to also administrate the email server and Moodle through LDAP (do
> we need a reserved LAN connection between the servers which are not
> connected in anyway?).
>

>  From those with experience, is this asking too much from one machine?
> Is this a good scenario?
>

> Are there any web sites with clear directions for novices to set up
> ldap?  I think we can set up the samba basically. We’ve done some
> searching but it is still cloudy.  It will take us a few weeks to be
> brave enough to set up a test server.  Our goal, if this idea proves
> doable, is to implement this by October.
>

> This is a broad question, but we need to start somewhere.
>

> Thanks.

Use the smbldap installer & it'll do everything for you. One thing I've found that is really
important is RAM, the more the better. We have about 4000 users but only about 700 are active and I
need to upgrade the server to 3 Gb to handle this. I'd say go for CentOS it's a RHEL clone and the
smbldap installer is reported to work happily with it. I think you could setup the server & LDAP in
a few hours.

The smbldap installer has script to batch create users from a CSV file.

For internet filtering have a look at Censornet, it'll authenticate against Samba 3 happily. You
should also be able to use this for authenticating your email.

If you'd like more info feel free to drop me an email

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College