[K12OSN] OT: what are your usage and Web publishing policies?

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Thu Aug 24 19:04:25 UTC 2006

I'm looking for some examples of non-Draconian computer usage
policies, and I'm also interested to know what policies, if any, your
schools have adopted for teachers publishing on the Web.  I know some
schools are concerned about liability issues WRT teachers' webpages;
how have your schools responded to this "threat"?

Also, I expect that several of your schools are encouraging teachers
to maintain class web pages; can some of you respond to me and point
to some examples?

I'm hoping that your responses can help me provide good examples to
discourage other schools from making regressive decisions in these
areas.

I'm contemplating the idea of a wiki to list school websites, class
webpages, and technology-related policies. It seems to me that this
could be a really valuable resource as other schools that are still
catching up need to establish themselves technologically. Is there
already a wiki somewhere that would appropriately host this? I would
look at projects like schoolforge, eduforge, and k12opensource.com,
except that those are all related to FOSS, and this really isn't...
ATM it looks to me like some state departments of education have
listed their schools (on a volunteer basis), but there's nothing
obviously more comprehensive than that.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/