[K12OSN] OT: what are your usage and Web publishing policies?

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 19:13:07 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Matt Oquist <moquist at majen.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for some examples of non-Draconian computer usage
> policies, and I'm also interested to know what policies, if any, your
> schools have adopted for teachers publishing on the Web.  I know some
> schools are concerned about liability issues WRT teachers' webpages;
> how have your schools responded to this "threat"?

You might find some material about this on the supportblogging.com
wiki, as I put it up in response to DOPA and I think there are some
good links there.

> Also, I expect that several of your schools are encouraging teachers
> to maintain class web pages; can some of you respond to me and point
> to some examples?

Again, supportblogging.com is likely to have many of those, since they
are put up as blogs.

> I'm hoping that your responses can help me provide good examples to
> discourage other schools from making regressive decisions in these
> areas.

I think this is a good idea.

> I'm contemplating the idea of a wiki to list school websites, class
> webpages, and technology-related policies. It seems to me that this
> could be a really valuable resource as other schools that are still
> catching up need to establish themselves technologically. Is there
> already a wiki somewhere that would appropriately host this? I would
> look at projects like schoolforge, eduforge, and k12opensource.com,
> except that those are all related to FOSS, and this really isn't...
> ATM it looks to me like some state departments of education have
> listed their schools (on a volunteer basis), but there's nothing
> obviously more comprehensive than that.

This would be pretty easy to build, and I think you'd get a good
response from the other ed tech lists in helping to build it.  It does
fall in the realm of the kind of projects I have been trying to
sponsor (ed-tech related), and I'd be glad to help.

Good idea, BTW.

--
Steve Hargadon
steve at hargadon.com