[K12OSN] My Client Keeps Crashing

theweaver at tiscali.co.uk theweaver at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 10:01:00 UTC 2006

On 25/08/06, theweaver at tiscali.co.uk <theweaver at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> The client acts normally until I try to do anything then shortly after
it
> crashes my swap is set as no 2 i.e. 1st partition is the boot 2nd is the
> swap file which is 1024mb and lastly is my main partition which is around
> 75gigis.

This swap is used by server. Clients use swap only if swap parameters
are set in the lts.conf file.

> Would this order have and impact on my client crashing. What would the
perfect
> server specifications be for one server and 10 diskless clients the spec
> for my computer is?
>
> My server HAS and Intel Celeron 2.40gig cpu with two
> 10/100 Realtek NIC, 512mb ram, 80gig hard drive my client is a IBM T21
Laptop
>  which boots fine, however as soon as I open a text or browse the internet
> it crashes in fact anything I do it crashes, any idea as to why? The laptop
> works fine in windows or
> not as a diskless.

You need atleast 1GB RAM.

Laptop as client is not dependent on local resources and that is while
it works okay on stand alone basis it may still have a problem.
Normally the laptop should have sufficient memory but you have not
emntioned how much RAM it has.

--
Regards,

Thank you for your help so far.
My laptop has 128mb of ram and a p3 800, It was only a test to see how diskless
worked, Please can you give me some tips on a perfect on a good server client
setup, I plan to have a server with 10 clients and would like it to run smoothly.

Thanks again

Mark