[K12OSN] Load average sky-high but why????????

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 11:46:09 UTC 2006

I love k12tlsp, really, really, but .... recently it seems all I can do is 'complain'.  After the rebuild of my systems here at NCS, the load average is hitting 2+ with just a few users (4 or 5).  This is new behavior.  Using top, firefox seems to take alot of the CPU, as does StarOffice.  Now, the system is also using software RAID 1.  I was leery about this but resorted to it because anaconda does not support my RAID card, and getting k12ltsp onto the system via other methods was also proving to be difficult.

In the prior years, there were not issues until we reached 40 Users on a system.  Now, I am at wits end.  Teachers/staff/anyone connecting to the system are becoming very very upset, to the point that they are asking for Windows and desktop systems (which is a huge change in attitude from the prior years).

Because of state proxy setups, I can't use IRC, so I am left with email.

Again, this is alot of frustration and I am sure the solution will be simple.  I am not seeing it.

Sorry for the Monday morning crisis.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins