[K12OSN] Cant VNC to server after installing Fl_TeacherTool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 02:35:30 UTC 2006

On 8/29/06, Wilson Chan <wilson at wilsonch.gotdns.com> wrote:

> > Did you install fl_tt manually (tarball/compile) or with yum?
> > Which vncviewer are you using to connect? tightvnc or realvnc?
> >
> Installed via Yum and used the instructions below. As for the viewer im
> using RealVNC.
>
>       1) Edit the file /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf and uncomment
>          (remove the "#") from the following line:
>
>                  X4_MODULE_02 = vnc
>
>       2) Now you'll have to make a password for the vnc-session. Run this
>          command as root:
>
>                 /usr/bin/vncpasswd
>
>       3) Copy the password file into the ltsp-tree
>
>                cp -R -p /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/
>

> When I SSH to the server I run "service vncserver start" I get the errors
> below but the status shows Xvnc as stopped.

I think vncserver should start automagically by itself when it's needed. I
don't think you need to ssh in first to start vncserver. If your firewall is
turned off or configured properly (not sure which ports need to be open)
then remotely just try to

vncviewer ip_of_server

before you do this though reset everything on the server by using the F9 key
(or reset item under file menu) in fl_tt. (or reboot)

Let us know if it works.

[root at server howto]# service vncserver start
> Starting VNC server: no displays configured                [  OK  ]
>
> [root at server howto]# service vncserver status
> Xvnc is stopped
>
> If I run "vncserver" from the CLI then "service vncserver status" then its
> running but I only get the black screen with a cursor.
>
> [root at server howto]# vncserver
>
> New 'server.ltsp:6 (root)' desktop is server.ltsp:6
> Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
> Log file is /root/.vnc/server.ltsp:6.log
>
> [root at server howto]# service vncserver status
> Xvnc (pid 8531) is running...
> [root at server howto]# ps aux |grep vnc
> root      8531  1.5  0.4  27780  9932 pts/1    S    16:19   0:00 Xvnc :6
> -desktop server.ltsp:6 (root) -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -auth
> /root/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth
> /root/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5906 -pn
> root      8578  0.0  0.0  57052   700 pts/1    S+   16:19   0:00 grep vnc
> [root at server howto]#

Robert Arkiletian