[K12OSN] OT - proper OS for CPU

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 18:29:42 UTC 2006

On 8/31/06, Michael Blinn <mblinn at peopleplaces.org> wrote:

> Smithfield is a 64-bit platform, therefore you would (probably) want to
> go with x86_64. Most apps will run in an optimized fashion, though
> you'll need to allow for a 32-bit Firefox if you wish your users to have
> flash/java plugin capabilities.
> -Michael Blinn

If you don't have more than 4GB in your server then just stick with x86. AMD
made the x86_64 extensions and called them AMD64. Intels 64bit cpu Itanium
(AKA Itanic) sunk. So they were forced to follow AMD lead. They pretty much
just copied AMD extensions but called them EMT64. So the smithfield (Pentium
D) will run x86 or x86_64. There really isn't much of an advantage to
running x86_64 unless you have more than 4GB of ram. 32 bit kernels can also
address over 4GB but they have to pay a slight penalty for doing so, whereas
x86_64 kernels can do it natively. There are a few extra registers in the
cpu x86_64 OS's can utilize but it's not really a big deal. Much more
important will be the issues of 32 bit binary only stuff that you will have
problems getting to work. (flash is the main one)

Steve Gilmore wrote:
> > Good Day,
> >
> > I'm looking towards using the new Intel P-Dual core  ( smithfield
> > processor) in a supermicro 1u system. So if I were to select , for
> > example CentOS 4.4 ,
> > Would I install the i386 version or the x86_64 version?

Robert Arkiletian